Animal Encyclopedia For Kids
A hub to get relevant facts about animals to share it with your kid
Introduction About Animals
There are many different plants and animals in our environment. Animals are living things that consume plants or other animals to survive. Animals can detect what is going on in the environment. To find food, mates, and safety, they use their senses and mobility.
On Earth, there are millions of different kinds of animals. Animals may be found all across the earth, from the frigid arctic regions to the sweltering deserts. They can be found on land, in the water and also in the air. They are found in a wide range of shapes and sizes.
The Biological definition: Animals are multicellular eukaryotic organisms that belong to the Kingdom Animalia. Every animal has its own distinct features. There are millions of species that have been recognized, however just a few have comparable traits while others have significant differences.
Animals are classified into two major categories.
Vertebrates are animals that have a backbone. Vertebrates have bilaterally symmetrical bodies and a brain closed by a skull as their primary characteristic.
Invertebrates are animals that do not have a backbone. Invertebrates lack a hard body structure hence they cannot grow very large. The majority of them have an exterior skeleton to protect their delicate inner bodies.
About Vertebrates & Invertebrates
The phylum chordata includes all animals having backbones, also known as vertebrates. Vertebrates are split into groups of- amphibians, reptiles, birds, fish, and mammals.
There are also many animals that lack backbones. Invertebrates belong to the phylum Arthropoda (arthropods). Spiders, insects, centipedes are the most well-known members in this phylum.
Animal Encyclopedia For Kids
Another simple classification of animals can be done based on Land (terrestrial), Water (aquatic), and Air (aerial) animals.
Animal Gyan Podcast
Animal Gyan is an original podcast series by Chimes Radio where we introduce our young listeners to different animals and their unique features.
This audio animal encyclopedia for kids provides them with an overview as well as amazing facts of some of the most popular and unique animals. So let’s hop into these 2-minutes short audio animal encyclopedia to know more about the members of our animal kingdom!
Click and learn about all the interesting and unique characteristics of these land animals.
Click and learn about all the interesting and unique characteristics of these water animals.
In the podcast series, Animal Gyan – Encyclopedia for Kids, we will talk about water animals. A water animal or aquatic animal are those that live in water. Listed below are some popular water animals that you ought to know about along with some of their fascinating characteristics.
- Dolphins- Learn all about the Dolphins – how they interact with each other, how do they call each other and how many stomachs do dolphins have?
- Penguins– Do you know how many species of Penguins are there and which are the smallest and largest of them all? What is their favorite activity? Let’s find out all these facts in these free online podcasts on animals.
- Octopus– How many arms does an Octopus have? Probably you know it already but do you know-how which is their largest species and how do they keep themselves safe from other animals?
- Starfish– These little fishes are a treat to the eye for kids owing to their shape. Their habitats are deep seas and oceans but are often looked for by people when they go for snorkeling. Let’s find some interesting things about Starfishes in this kid’s podcast.
- Swan– Learn all about these beautiful but hardworking animals “Swans” in this short podcast for kids.
- Eels– Eels are extremely interesting animals. They look like snakes but are actually fishes and have the ability to electrocute their predators. Let’s find some more interesting facts about this unique water animal.
- Frogs– Tons of fairy tales have been weaved around this interesting animal. Able to live both in water and on the land, Frogs are quite an interesting animal. Let’s find out some amazing facts about frogs in this short kids’ podcast.
- Whales– The biggest mammals on Earth, whales are a very intriguing animal and widely loved by all kids. But there are several popular misconceptions about Whales and we try to give a true account of these wonderful animals in this facts-based podcast.
- Turtles– Considered as one of the longest living animals with over 100 years, Turtles have been part of our stories for such a long time. Having a distinct body to protect themselves, they have some interesting facts about them. Let’s find all such amazing facts in this short kid’s podcast.
- Stingray– Stingray enjoy a very unique body shape and are easily identifiable. Present in the deep waters, these are nondangerous fishes though they have poison in their tails which they use for self-defense. Let’s find all such amazing facts in this short kid’s podcast.
- Crabs– Also known as spiders of the sea world, Crabs are very interesting animals. They used their pincers in a number of ways including for communicating. And the most unique thing about crabs is their ability to walk sideways. Let’s find our all amazing facts about crabs in this kids’ podcast.
- Sharks– Sharks are one of the most ferocious animals of the sea and are capable of instilling fear in anyone as soon as you notice their fin in the water. But do you know, not all sharks are dangerous? Let’s find out such other amazing animal facts in this kids’ podcast.
- Seahorses– Seahorses are named after horses because of their shape but they are actually a species of fishes. A specific species of Seahorse also have a world record to their name and they are also capable of changing their body colors like chameleons. Do you know how many times do they eat food in a day?
- Ducks– Ducks have a specific way of floating in the water. Belonging to the family of goose and swans, they are quite popular with kids because of the numerous kid’s characters based on them. Do you know why ducks are able to fly (not very high though) even after being in water for hours? Let’s find out such other amazing animal facts in this kids’ podcast
- Jellyfish– Their names are quite dubious as these are neither jellies nor are they fishes.
- Lobsters– Lobsters are one of the only very few species on our planet that keep on growing their entire life. Do you know lobsters can swim backward and which of their body parts help them do that? Let’s find some similar interesting facts about these amazing animals.
- Dolphins: Learn all about the Dolphins – how they interact with each other, how do they call each other and how many stomachs do dolphins have?
- Seals: Seals are semi-aquatic mammals that often reminds people of flip-flops. These carnivore species are considered to be very intelligent but with weak memory. They spend most of their time in the water and can be often seen in aquatic amusement parks. Let us learn about the largest and smallest species of seals.
In the podcast series, Animal Gyan – Encyclopedia for Kids, we will talk about air animals. An Air animal or aerial animal are those that can fly in the air. Listed below are some popular water animals that you ought to know about along with some of their fascinating characteristics.
- Parrots– Parrots are one of the most friendly animals and are commonly found as pets in the houses. So let us gather more information about these beautiful animals who are known for their sweet tone.
- Fireflies– Do you love the magical little fireflies that low in the dark? Do you know what makes them glow? If not, hear this short podcast on animal facts for kids to learn about it.
- Owls– Let’s learn a bit more about the nocturnal animals Owls and how they are able to fly without making a sound. Short animal fact podcasts for kids.
- Butterfly– These little flying animals are the favorite of all kids. Seen in the garden around flowers, they add the vibrant color to the view. Let’s find out more about the butterflies.
- Crow– These are often considered to be messengers of someone coming to our house. Let’s find a bit more about these intriguing animals.
- Hummingbird– These are cute, colorful, and considered to be one of the smallest birds. Native to the Americas, these are loved across the world. So let us know a bit more about these wonderful animals.
- Cranes– Cranes are one of the tallest flying birds and some species are also capable of changing their feather colors according to the situation. Let’s explore this podcast to learn a few other interesting facts about these great migratory birds.
- Bees– Busy Bees are the hardest working animal in the world. Would you like to find some interesting facts about these little animals like how much honey do they each produce in their lifetime and what causes their famous buzzing sound?
- Eagles– Eagle is the common name given to many large birds belonging to a particular family. Considered one of the strongest flyers, they can carry heavy weights with ease which makes them very dangerous. Let’s find out some interesting facts about these magnificent creatures in this short kid’s podcast.
- Pigeons– Pigeons, or the postman in ancient times, has an amazing directional sense. But do you know how do they manage to remember the paths so brilliantly? Let us find this and some other interesting facts about pigeons in this kid’s podcast.
- Woodpeckers– These small birds have extremely strong beaks and hence can even be called carpenters of the animal world. But do you know how many times they can hammer per second? And why even after so much of hammering they are not adversely affected? Let’s find these and some other interesting facts about these great animals Woodpeckers.
- Cuckoos– Having one of the most melodious voices in the animal kingdom, cuckoos are used as a reference when we are talking about people with great singing capabilities. But do you know that only male cuckoos have this great skill? Let’s find such more interesting facts about cuckoos in this kid’s podcast.
- Sparrows– They are little and cute birds and can be seen around us all the time. Super quick and active, they love the company of their friends and are well known in the animal kingdom for their craftsmanship while building their nests. Let’s find out these and some more interesting facts about sparrows in this kids’ podcast.
- Kingfisher– These long-beaked birds are commonly seen next to water bodies in hunt of their prey, fishes. They have amazing eyesight but their biggest weapon probably is their dagger-shaped beaks. Let’s find out more about such interesting facts about these great birds kingfishers.
- Vultures– Vultures are the scavenger birds but play a very important part in our food chain. Having more than 23 species, these are quite scary animals. Did you know their groups are named depending on the type of gathering? Also, do you know they hold a unique world record? Let’s find out all these interesting facts about these amazing animals Vultures.
- Turkey– Turkey is the common name of a country and an animal. Its name is based on a similar-looking bird in the country of Turkey and do you know, the male turkey has very attractive feathers but not the female ones? They also enjoy a great memory. Let’s hear about these and other interesting facts about this interesting animal.
- Vultures: Vultures are the scavenger birds but play a very important part in our food chain. Having more than 23 species, these are quite scary animals. Did you know their groups are named depending on the type of gathering? Also do you know they hold a unique world record? Let’s find out all these interesting facts about these amazing animals Vultures.
- Butterfly: These little flying animals are the favorite of all kids. Seen in the garden around flowers, they add vibrant color to the view. Let’s find out more about the butterflies.
- Seagulls: Seagulls are loud birds found in abundance all across the world. They are one of the rare animals that can drink saltwater. These smart animals apply hunting tricks to catch their prey. Let’s listen to their amazing tricks now!