Gudi Padwa 2023
Know all about the Indian festival of Gudi Padwa in this blog. Scroll down to know when is Gudi Padwa 2023
The Gudi Padwa Fesival
Gudi Padwa in Hindi is written as गुढी पाडवा. It is a festival celebrated mainly in the state of Maharashtra and marks the beginning of the harvest season. Gudi Padwa is celebrated as New Year’s Day for the people in Maharashtra. Gudi meaning Brahma’s flag and Padwa/Padva means the first day of the bright phase of the moon. On Gudi Padwa the Marathi people decorate their home with rangoli, a Gudi flag which is decorated with flowers, mango, and neem leaves. The Gudi flag for the Marathi people is supposed to bring luck and good fortune. It is one of the popular festivals in India.
When is Gudi Padwa 2023?
Gudi Padwa is celebrated on the first day of the Chaitra month as per the Hindu calendar. The festival falls on Wednesday, 22nd March 2023.
Mythological Stories Behind Gudi Padwa
They are many mythological stories and references to Gudi Padwa. In Brahma Purana, it is said that Lord Brahma recreated the world after a natural calamity that left all the people dead and stopped time. Therefore, Lord Brahma, the creator of the universe is worshipped on this day as he created the cosmic universe.
The other story says that Lord Rama returned to Ayodhya with his wife Sita and his brother Laxman after 14 years in exile. The day celebrates the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana. Hence, Gudi or Brahma’s flag is hoisted in households as a victory flag.
There is another historical story behind the celebration of Gudi Padwa in Marathi households. It is said that Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj defeated the Mughals and brought freedom to the state.
Why is Gudi Padwa celebrated?/ Gudi Padwa Significance
- The Gudi flag is supposed to keep the evils away
- The festival brings prosperity and good luck
- Welcomes the spring or the harvest season, ripping off the Rabi crops
- It is the day when Lord Bramha recreated the universe and time
How is Gudi Padwa celebrated at home?
The festival is the beginning of a new season and year, so people clean their houses, make rangolis, hang mango leaves above the main entrance door, take a customary oil-bath, wear new clothes and the most important part is the hoisting of Gudi. People then form a human pyramid to break the coconut inside the Gudi. It is the most important ritual of the entire festival in Maharashtra.
It is also customary to consume neem leaves on this day. Several dishes like Shrikhand (a sweet dish), Poori, Pooran Poli, Chana, and Soonth Panak are made on the occasion of Gudi Padwa.
How to make a Gudi at home?
- A medium-sized bamboo
- Green/ Yellow cloth with golden border
- Mango & Neem leaves
- Flower Garland
- Sugar Crystals
- Silver/ Copper pot
The process to make the Gudi:
- Tie the green/yellow cloth at the end of a bamboo stick
- Tie the mango and neem leaves around the cloth
- Add the garland and the sugar crystals
- Place the pot in an inverted style at the top of the stick
- Draw a sacred Swastik with the vermillion on the pot
- Place the Gudi in the entrance of your house in a tilted position
How is Gudi Padwa Celebrated in other States of India ?
The festival of is also celebrated in different parts of our country as:
Ugadi – In Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana
Poila Boisakh- West Bengal
Interesting Facts About The Festival
- Since Rangoli is a significant aspect of Gudi Padwa, even streets are decorated with rangoli
- Several processions of men and women are held in the state of Maharastra with flags in their hands
- People sing-song about Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj
- Gudi is hoisted by the senior member of the people
- Women wear Maharashtrian Nauvari saree on Gudi Padwa
- People buy gold, new house, or vehicle on this auspicious day
- Gudi Padwa is considered an auspicious day for farmers for sowing seeds
Read our detailed article on Indian Festivals 2023. Alternately, our Original Podcasts are also available on our own Chimes mobile app and also on all major streaming apps like Spotify, Google Podcasts, Gaana, etc.
FAQ'S on Gudi Padwa 2023
Who started Gudi Padwa?
It is said that Lord Brahma had created the universe on the day of Gudi Padwa.
What is done on Gudi Padwa?
People begin their day with an oil bath, then put on new clothes and decorate their homes with rangolis on the day of the festival. Make the Gudi first, then perform the pooja.
Which states celebrate the festival of Gudi Padwa?
It is mainly celebrated in Maharashtra.