When is Baisakhi 2023: Date, history, and everything you must know
Baisakhi festival 2023: Vaisakhi is a festival celebrated by the people of North, mainly Punjab. Check the date of Baisakhi 2023 and, all the other details you need to know.
Baisakhi or Vaisakhi, the harvest festival, is observed in most of India to mark the start of the new spring season. It marks the end of India’s harvest season and the beginning of a prosperous period for farmers. It is also known as Vaisakhi, and will be celebrated on 14th April in 2023. Baisakhi is particularly significant in Punjab and Haryana due to the large Sikh population, which celebrates the festival with zeal and enthusiasm.
Date of Baisakhi 2023
Baisakhi or Vaisakhi in 2023 with be celebrated on 14th April 2023 with utmost joy.
About Baisakhi 2023
Vaisakhi is an ancient spring harvest festival that has been celebrated for centuries in the Punjab region. It became closely associated with Sikhism at the end of the 17th century, when Guru Gobind Singh, the Sikh leader, chose the date of the festival to establish the Khalsa Panth.
‘Rongali Bihu’ in Assam, ‘Naba Barsha’ in West Bengal, ‘Vaishakha’ in Bihar, ‘Vishu’ in Kerala, and ‘Puthandu’ in Tamil Nadu are some of the names given to the festival of Baisakhi. This day is commemorated in Punjab as the birthday of Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh Guru.
Significance of Vaisakhi
According to legend, Guru Gobind Singh challenged any Sikh willing to give his life. In a crowd of around a thousand people, a total of five people volunteered. Instead of taking the lives of the volunteers, the Guru baptised them with “Amrit” and formed the “Khalsa,” a five-member group of saint-soldiers. The Five Ks were a group of five Khalsa men who stood for Kesh (hair), Katchera (innerwear), Kangha (comb), Kirpan (sword), and the Kara (steel ring).
The spraying of nectar, or “Amrit,” during the ceremonial baptization of Sikhs has become a common practise since that day. Aside from its historical significance, the day also marks the ripening of the Rabi crop, which is celebrated by Punjabis.
How Baisakhi Is Celebrated in India ?
- Many Sikhs go on pilgrimages to holy sites to commemorate the events of Vaisakhi. Gurdwaras are lit up with various coloured lights, and Sikhs hold “Nagar Kirtan” performances. People sing hymns from Sikh texts as the procession moves along.
- Cultural events frequently feature traditional folk dance or Bhangra, which is essentially a harvest festival dance. Local fairs, which are a big part of Punjabi culture, attract a lot of people.
- It is quite common to dress up in traditional attire, eat local delicacies, and pay visits to friends and relatives. Baisakhi is also thought to be a lucky day for starting a new business.
Rituals of Vaisakhi 2023
- Sikhs visits Gurudwaras in the morning to participate in a communal prayer.
- The Golden Temple in Amritsar, where millions of Sikhs and Hindus come to pray, hosts major celebrations.
- Milk is used to bathe the Granth Sahib.
- Attendees are given sweets.
- During the afternoon hours, Sikhs parade with the Granth Sahib. These are the most common Vaisakhi 2022 rituals.
Popular Cuisines of Baisakhi
Traditional Punjabi dishes such as Chhole Bature, Achari mutton, Chicken saagwala, Sarson ka saag, kadhi chawal, dry fruit kheer, and the famous lassi are served and enjoyed during Baisakhi 2022. These delicacies exemplify the Punjabi people’s passion for food and flavour.
Best Places To Celebrate Baisakhi Festival 2023
Amritsar: If you’re looking for a unique way to commemorate Vaisakhi 2022, consider visiting Amritsar. Guru Gobind Singh laid the foundations of the Khalsa at the city’s Golden Temple.
Punjab: Visit Punjab during Baisakhi 2022 if you want to see the real celebrations. The state hosts dance and singing performances. Restaurants are providing the festival meals.
Haryana: Every year, Haryana hosts a large mela. Many people travel to this state to participate in the well-known Baisakhi mela.
Chandigarh: Tourists visit the city’s gurudwaras to pray to God. They can attend singing and dance performances.
Jalandhar: Vaisakhi is celebrated in style in this city. Folk dances are performed by both men and women.
FAQ On Baisakhi 2023 Festival
Baisakhi is on 14th April 2023
It marks the Sikh new year and commemorates the formation of Khalsa panth of warriors under Guru Gobind Singh in 1699.
Sikhs begin Vaisakhi by visiting a gurdwara, which is a place of worship. Following the religious services, people begin a day of celebration. They take part in parades through the streets dressed in bright, traditional clothing. There is a lot of singing, dancing, and hymn chanting.